POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: scott
Date: 8 Nov 2012 04:33:32
Message: <509b7c6c$1@news.povray.org>
>> I guess they find it incredibly hard to find anyone to work for them
>> then?
>>
> To keep people yes, to find people to hire, no.

So people do often find something better once they realise the situation
with this employer? My guess would be then the employer takes advantage
of new employees who don't have experience with the pay structure. It's
one of those mistakes we all make once and then never again.

My previous employer did something mildly comparable with our pensions.
The workforce was mostly young graduates with little experience that
didn't really realise the implications of what they were agreeing too.
There were a handful of more experienced people who started to kick up a
fuss (particularly my manager that had been through exactly the same
with a previous employer) but their voices were drowned out.

> We are dealing with people that can't do math without a calculator.
> Expecting them to actually comprehend why taking a "better" position is
> actually leaving them in worse financial shape is... probably expecting
> a but much...

You don't need to be a math genius or know how to use a calculator to
ask "how much will you pay into my bank account each week/month if I
take this 'better' position?". If they can't manage asking something
like that with their job then how do they manage with dealing with
utility companies etc.?