POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Nov 2012 15:56:16
Message: <509acaf0$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/11/2012 8:07 PM, Warp wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> On 07/11/2012 7:44 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> You'd think so, but many people seem to think that their belief and
>>> ignorance trumps actual knowledge.
>
>> That is what faith means. I believe it without proof. A plus in some
>> quarters, I believe.
>
> Why is it that in many religions (and also in many superstitious belief
> systems)

Is there a difference? (I am not being funny.)

faith is considered a virtue? And they are explicitly referring
> to believing without actual proof or evidence. They talk as if proof would
> diminish and soil the value of the belief, and that the less proof you
> have, the better!

That is how I see it too.

> (Of course this is a defense mechanism that has naturally formed that
> keeps superstitious beliefs alive, but I just can't understand why people
> swallow it so easily.)

I think that there are two reasons (at least).

1/	No one wants to stop existing when they die so the believe in a
religion that promises life after death.

2/	A lot of people find it hard to "think outside of the box" and
believe what they are brought up with as a matter of course.

3/ Lots of people are really STUPID! (Did I say that out loud?)

BTW I think that the talk in this thread (not you) where some people
discuss just how intelligent/wise you should be before you should be
allowed to vote, is marching to the sound of the Goose step.

--
Regards
     Stephen