POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Warp
Date: 7 Nov 2012 15:07:58
Message: <509abf9e@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 07/11/2012 7:44 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> > You'd think so, but many people seem to think that their belief and
> > ignorance trumps actual knowledge.

> That is what faith means. I believe it without proof. A plus in some
> quarters, I believe.

Why is it that in many religions (and also in many superstitious belief
systems) faith is considered a virtue? And they are explicitly referring
to believing without actual proof or evidence. They talk as if proof would
diminish and soil the value of the belief, and that the less proof you
have, the better!

(Of course this is a defense mechanism that has naturally formed that
keeps superstitious beliefs alive, but I just can't understand why people
swallow it so easily.)

--
                                                          - Warp