POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon ship restoration project - wip 1 : Re: Gancaloon ship restoration project - wip 1 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon ship restoration project - wip 1
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Nov 2012 08:22:58
Message: <509a60b2$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-10-2012 0:23, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> I've attached one of my reconstructions (one of the dreadnoughts of the ancient
> Egyptian fleet of Cleopatra during the sea battle of Actium). Each of them would
> make amazing 3D models...

Out of sheer curiosity: What are the /real/ dimensions of this ship? Not
according to the human figures on board surely. If I take those as basis
(1.80m height), the ship length would be about 59m; the mast height from
the deck about 42m; the underwater ship height down from the water line
about 9m. This cannot be right. Also, the form of the underwater ship
does not seem to be according to the proportions of antiquity. The keel
should be much shallower and with a rounded prow?

My guess is that the ship should be between one third and one half of
these dimensions.

Thomas