POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: scott
Date: 7 Nov 2012 03:27:49
Message: <509a1b85$1@news.povray.org>
> Yeah, well. Even monkeys need to eat, and as things stand, the view, of
> some of the wackos running, seems to be that it costs too much to buy
> them bananas, so its, somehow, their own damn fault that they have to
> eat their own feces. Case in point - My work doesn't pay its lowest
> level employees more than minimum wages. They, if lucky, get 20-30 hours
> a week, average, and then only if unionized, and the company just tacked
> on a $5 a week health care charge, then gave them a 10 cent raise. So..
> They plan to let everyone work 50 hours to make up the difference? Of
> course not... And the current contract "explicitly" states that those
> employees will *never* get a raise, since no one **ever** receives a
> performance raise either, unless the state raises the minimum.

I guess they find it incredibly hard to find anyone to work for them then?

> So, yeah, I would love to see the damn congress idiots, and senate, at
> the minimum, have to try to live on that kind of wage, especially since
> they don't seem to think they have to actually bloody spend time
> working, either.

There's nothing to stop the above people working for your company on the
minimum wage deciding to go into politics.

I don't know how it is in the US, but in the UK politicians salaries are
pretty mediocre compared to equivalent jobs in industry. For example our
prime minister has a salary of £142k, in industry someone in charge of
what 50-200 people (depending on the industry) could probably be on that
salary and have a fraction of the responsibility the PM has.