POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lego Superman - Man of Steel : Re: Lego Superman - Man of Steel Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lego Superman - Man of Steel
From: clipka
Date: 6 Nov 2012 15:23:26
Message: <509971be$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.11.2012 20:42, schrieb MichaelJF:
>> On 5-11-2012 20:13, MichaelJF wrote:
>>> No need to blush;-) I only thought that my cheap trick could interest you
>>> regarding your former profession.
>>
>> Oh, absolutely. In fact I have been thinking about the contour line
>> possibilities for a long time without getting very far. So, I see great
>> possibilities in your technique.
>
> Thanks, I just investigate if exr-pictures can achieve an improvement after
> having reached a certain approximation of the landscape with png.

While OpenEXR will give you an improvement, it would still be a
comparatively poor choice, as its absolute precision varies considerably
between dark and bright regions of an image, so you'd have different
quality on high plateaus than in low plains.

For your purposes, any classic file format with a 16-bit color depth
would be better suited, such as 16-bit png.