POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How do you run code in more than one core? : Re: How do you run code in more than one core? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you run code in more than one core?
From: Warp
Date: 6 Nov 2012 08:33:27
Message: <509911a6@news.povray.org>
> The APs enter Halt state, so to wake them up you trigger whatever event
> gets a CPU out of Halt... Interrupt, maybe? You COULD possibly read up
> on it in the System Programmer's Guide; see the link I posted.

So far what I have gathered is this:

The correct answer depends on the processor architecture, of course, but
for example in most Intel-based architectures there's a physical controller
chip named APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) that's used
for, among other things, wake up additional processors/cores and make them
run specified code.

What I still can't figure out is how exactly you tell the APIC to do that.

--
                                                          - Warp