POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 Nov 2012 09:45:12
Message: <5097d0f8@news.povray.org>

> I hear that at many places in the United States (although I'm sure it's
> not the only country in the world with this problem, but I get the
> impression that it's one of the worst of its kind) boards of education
> are often staffed by people who are completely illiterate in terms of
> science and education. And it's precisely these people who decide what
> is and isn't taught at schools. Apparently they get to those positions
> for political reasons and because of a buddy system, not because they
> would be the most competent for that position.
>
> Thus you get things like this:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNspEpMK7FE

In many countries of the western hemisphere, the religious factions feel
they are losing ground to the godless heathens, so they will sometimes
try to "regain control" by trying to run for office and steering the
country back into the Right Path(tm).  In many cases, the only places
they will be able to win elections are local elected offices that are
not very popular and where the candidates often run unopposed.

If you think about it, very few people will be interested in running for
a board of education position.  This is not a very glamorous position.
Therefore those who run usually have an axe to grind with the way the
schools are currently run, so you will usually end up with very
polarized views.  Too much sports / Not enough sports.  Too much
religion / Not enough religion.  Too much of THIS religion / Not enough
of THAT religion.  Etc...