POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How do you run code in more than one core? : Re: How do you run code in more than one core? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you run code in more than one core?
From: clipka
Date: 4 Nov 2012 20:42:25
Message: <50971981@news.povray.org>
Am 04.11.2012 08:02, schrieb Warp:
>> after that, it wakes up the APs
>
> How?

The APs enter Halt state, so to wake them up you trigger whatever event
gets a CPU out of Halt... Interrupt, maybe? You COULD possibly read up
on it in the System Programmer's Guide; see the link I posted.

> (Also: After the other cores have been started and are running some idle
> process, waiting for tasks to be assigned to them, how do you assign tasks
> to them? IOW how do they detect that they should start running something?)

An idle processor enters a power-saving state, waiting for an interrupt
from either a self-set timer or triggered by another processor via
interrupt controller. Once it is woken up, it checks the list of pending
jobs, calls dibs on the next one, and goes to work. (Or, if the list is
empty, goes to sleep again.)

Not much magic in there.