POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Nov 2012 15:57:02
Message: <5096d69e$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/4/2012 1:30 AM, Warp wrote:
> I hear that at many places in the United States (although I'm sure it's
> not the only country in the world with this problem, but I get the
> impression that it's one of the worst of its kind) boards of education
> are often staffed by people who are completely illiterate in terms of
> science and education. And it's precisely these people who decide what
> is and isn't taught at schools. Apparently they get to those positions
> for political reasons and because of a buddy system, not because they
> would be the most competent for that position.
>
> Thus you get things like this:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNspEpMK7FE

Yeah, sadly, they have no qualifications, often, other than that they
support the politics which ever set of morons happen to outnumber the
sane people at the time. You get similar stupidities in the schools
themselves, where the administration staff is more likely to have a
business degree, than an education degree, because, you know.. this
isn't like say, rocket science, where you need the thing to actually
work, and have to spend real money on things that really work, but more
like a fast food restaurant, where the point is the spend as little
money as possible, on the cheapest possible things, needed to achieve
merely *adequate* results (and, as can be seen in right wing politics,
if its not working, the solution is, apparently, to close the failing
business, and make everyone attend, and overburden, the ones that
actually provide adequate service). But, its still the fast food of
education. No one, unless you can afford it, gets to have, for free, a 5
star school, and if you can afford it, then... well, you just have to
put up with the ideology, the bad taste in decoration, and all the rest
of the pretentious crap that goes along with someone serving you
lobster, instead of fish tacos, containing someone dyed to look like
crab (or the educational equivalent). And, of course, certain things
will *never* be on the menu, even if they are needed there, because the
chef doesn't believe in them.