POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : One Small Problem... (169kbbu) : Re: One Small Problem... (169kbbu) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One Small Problem... (169kbbu)
From: John VanSickle
Date: 3 Nov 2012 21:51:17
Message: <5095ca15$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/2/2012 10:26 PM, John VanSickle wrote:
> I'm scheming a scene which is going to have a bunch of computers at
> desks, and here's the keyboard.
>
> The chief problem with this model is that it contains 2152 scene-level
> objects.  There are ways to lower this, but that'll take some work.
>
> (It won't animate, either, but I'm not planning an shots where that will
> be an issue.)
>
> (And I'm sure some of you would prefer a different color.)

To answer some of the questions:

* Yes, the key board base should have a cut-out area around the keys.  I
was getting to the point where I wanted to post something.

* The texturing is done with object patterns based on text objects.
That way the detail is there at any magnification.

* Why, yes, there are no OS keys.  That is deliberate.

* I was thinking of texturing the F13-F15 keys with the usual text like
the keyboard I'm typing this on, but I got lazy there.  It's not hard to
change.  I might also make a full row of function keys, going to F20.

* I might replace the caps lock key with something else.  It will
probably be security-related because the intended scene is a military
command-and-control center.

* The final version will use meshes for the keys to cut down on the
object count (each key contains 21 CSG primitives).  It will also
support animating the keys so that they move when pressed.

Regards,
John