POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How do you run code in more than one core? : Re: How do you run code in more than one core? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you run code in more than one core?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Nov 2012 13:31:31
Message: <509554f3$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03/11/2012 17:16, Orchid Win7 v1 nous fit lire :
> On 03/11/2012 12:31 PM, Warp wrote:
>
>> There's one aspect, however, that was a complete and absolute mystery
>> to me: How exactly do you run code in more than one processor/core?
>> What kind of operations do you need to do to achieve this?
>
> As best as I can tell, when the system boots, all but one processor core
> fire up in an idle mode, and core 0 starts running. I think the process
> for actually taking a core out of its idle state and directing it to run
> code at a specific physical memory address might even vary by
> motherboard chipset - so it's probably a case of asking the BIOS to do
> it for you. (Because otherwise your OS would have to know how to drive
> every chipset known to man.)
>
> I could be completely wrong, of course...

I would have resume it as: setting the PC on the relevant core and let
it flow. (PC: program counter)

You are correct about the startup: setting such basic things as mem
mapping is best done by a single unit, so only 1 core is up at startup.

I would not expect the bios to be involved at all.