POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How do you run code in more than one core? : Re: How do you run code in more than one core? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you run code in more than one core?
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 3 Nov 2012 12:16:38
Message: <50954366$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/11/2012 12:31 PM, Warp wrote:

> There's one aspect, however, that was a complete and absolute mystery
> to me: How exactly do you run code in more than one processor/core?
> What kind of operations do you need to do to achieve this?

As best as I can tell, when the system boots, all but one processor core
fire up in an idle mode, and core 0 starts running. I think the process
for actually taking a core out of its idle state and directing it to run
code at a specific physical memory address might even vary by
motherboard chipset - so it's probably a case of asking the BIOS to do
it for you. (Because otherwise your OS would have to know how to drive
every chipset known to man.)

I could be completely wrong, of course...