POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development : Re: An ironic development Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An ironic development
From: Urs Holzer
Date: 1 Nov 2012 16:13:14
Message: <5092d7da$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I've tried with a few trial apps (a long time ago) to
> find out how they were detecting I'd already run the trial but
> couldn't figure it out (after logging registry and file changes). They
> must be using something a bit more sophisticated.

Some of them actually write something into the gap behind the master
boot record. This works in the case of windows boot loaders which don't
use it. Other boot loaders, for example GRUB, are located in this gap.
Installing one of these trial applications can therefore ruin your
bootloader. Luckily, this never happened to me. (Only report I found
with a quick search: http://superuser.com/a/192082)