POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development : Re: An ironic development Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An ironic development
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 Oct 2012 18:16:24
Message: <5091a338@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:54:42 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> It does require testing and knowledge to do right.  It's far from
>> impossible.
>
> 6,000 *identical* desktops, I would imagine.

You imagine incorrectly.  A few base images to account for different
hardware, but no, given that there were about 25 offices around the
country and systems in different places in their usable life, no, they
were not all identical.

> What *I* was trying to do is construct a script which will work on *any*
> Windows XP installation. That is a much harder task.

Not really, because application settings are generally not dependent on
the hardware.  The same is true for theming elements.

>> I feel I must repeat something I've said to you over and over and over
>> and over and OVER again:  Just because YOU can't do something does NOT
>> mean it is "impossible".
>
> If you want to split hairs, it is technically "possible" to unscramble
> an egg. According to the laws of physics, scrambling an egg ought to be
> a completely reversible operation. (Time invariance, and all that.) But
> to date, nobody has ever succeeded in actually doing this.
>
> There are things which are truly *impossible*. (E.g., travel faster than
> light.) And then there are things which are theoretically possible, but
> so absurdly hard that nobody would bother trying. (E.g., unscrambling an
> egg.)

Yes, there are things that are impossible.  But you tend to take tasks
that you've determined are non-trivial or that you can't figure out and
declare that they're totally "impossible".  Exporting the correct Windows
registry settings for a particular purpose is not "unscrambling an egg".

> Some things are easy, some things are hard. Some things are hard enough
> that for all /practical/ purposes, it's impossible. Somebody with access
> to insider knowledge about how the Windows Explorer shell works
> internally might be able to put together a registry hack that changes
> the theme. Somebody with access to thousands of test systems and with
> the time and motivation to reverse-engineer this stuff might be able to
> figure it out. One lone guy with a registry monitor? Not a chance.

Again, you are not correct about this.  There are tools that make it
easier, and yes, a lone guy with a registry monitor does stand a chance
at this "impossible" task - because (and I want you to listen very
carefully here):  IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE! :)

> And that is really all I was trying to say.

And what I'm trying to say is that you are simply wrong.

Jim