POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development : Re: An ironic development Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An ironic development
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 Oct 2012 17:33:30
Message: <5091992a$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:12:15 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Yes, but every time you click an icon or open a window hundreds of
>>> registry accesses happen. Trying to isolate just those related to the
>>> theme change is the hard part...
>>
>> "Compare before and after" is not the same as "track every access".
>
> OK. But that still doesn't detract from the actual problem: whether you
> track every individual access, or just the before and after images, the
> problem is that you can't just grab a bunch of registry changes, apply
> them to another machine, and expect it to do the same thing. It's not
> that simple.

Perhaps you're unaware that there are software distribution tools that
employ just this sort of mechanism?  I worked for a company where about
6,000 desktops had applications delivered to them using this type of
application management technology, in fact.

It does require testing and knowledge to do right.  It's far from
impossible.

I feel I must repeat something I've said to you over and over and over
and over and OVER again:  Just because YOU can't do something does NOT
mean it is "impossible".

Jim