POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development : Re: An ironic development Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An ironic development
From: scott
Date: 30 Oct 2012 12:11:29
Message: <508ffc31@news.povray.org>
>  From Orchid's postings, I gather that the Gsettings concept is
> different in this respect, by having the applications just add or modify
> their own private XML file, and then compile all such XML files into one
> blob (for, as I suspect, faster access).

This is quite a good idea, because then it's up to the OS to decide how
to handle conflicts (eg if two apps try to set the same thing in their
own XML). Also then when you uninstall you can just delete the XML and
know that any settings from that app no longer have any influence. In
Windows on the other hand it's simply whichever application changed the
value most recently that wins.

However does this mean that every time a program writes to the registry
the OS must recompile everything?