POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development : Re: An ironic development Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An ironic development
From: clipka
Date: 30 Oct 2012 11:00:39
Message: <508feb97@news.povray.org>
Am 30.10.2012 04:16, schrieb John VanSickle:

>>> In fairness, it's not /completely/ identical. The folders are called
>>> "keys" under Windows, whereas Gsettings calls them "schemas". Both
>>> systems store this stuff in a binary file, but Gsettings loads the key
>>> definitions from XML files and "compiles" them into binary.
>
> Okay, but why compile them?  It's not like drive space is a scarce
> resource anymore.

Faster access, maybe?

>> Snort.. Actually, the problem with the windows registry are:
>>
>> 1. Can't read the damn thing, without the editor.
>>
>> 2. Things don't always uninstall cleanly.
>
> That's mostly the uninstaller's fault.  I suppose there's a utility that
> allows you to record the registry changes made by an installer, so that
> when the utility is uninstalled you can follow up and scrub the registry
> completely.

Except when the installer doesn't know that the application itself does
make additional changes to the registry.

Or when the installer makes a change to parts of the registry that other
installers are also likely to touch, and un-installing isn't done in
reverse order.

> 5. All of your eggs are in one basket.  Yes, let's put the settings for
> your application, Jack's application, and the drivers for your hardware
> devices, all in one big file.  That won't cause any problems, no sir.

 From Orchid's postings, I gather that the Gsettings concept is
different in this respect, by having the applications just add or modify
their own private XML file, and then compile all such XML files into one
blob (for, as I suspect, faster access).