POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface bricks : Re: Isosurface bricks Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface bricks
From: Alain
Date: 30 Oct 2012 10:56:49
Message: <508feab1$1@news.povray.org>
Le 29/10/12 10:48 AM, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 29/10/2012 09:16, Anthony D. Baye a écrit :
>> For the past several days, I've been trying to come up with a method for making
>> nice-looking isosurface brick walls.  I was hoping to use them in a halloween
>> themed scene, but I'm not sure I'll have it presentable in time, now... :(
>>
>> anyway... The bricks look sorta nice, so I thought I'd share.
>>
>> Regards,
>> A.D.B.
>>

> Very cool. (Really. I can feel the grain of the bricks)
>
> Now a few points:
> * where is the mortar ? (for halloween, the mortar was made of icing
> sugar... all leached... ;-) )
>   (more seriously, there is about 10 geometry for the mortar, each with a
> purpose or a usage:
>
> http://www.bontool.com/knowledge_center/KC_Mortar_Joints.asp
>
> and do not ask how & why I know that page!)
>
> * too much random variation of colours: colour of bricks came from the
> temperature in the oven, nearby bricks in the oven get the same kind of
> colour... and nearby bricks in the oven ends up as nearby bricks in the
> package... then nearby bricks in the package ends up on the same row or
> nearby rows (unless you are a Netherlander, in which case you might have
> a white package and a red package to pick from in order to make some
> motifs).

The colour variations in this image are very similar to those I see
every day in my, and several others, neibourhood. The colour variation
don't come only from the cooking temperature but also from the pigment
used, and how well mixed in it was, and variations in the clay used.
Older houses have much more variation than recent ones reflecting both
hovens having a more uniform temperature and improved mixing equipment.

> * no burning remains on each bricks... too uniform colour of each bricks

Here again, I need to disagree with you. Most bricks I see every days
are almost identical to those.