POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development : Re: An ironic development Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An ironic development
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 Oct 2012 09:33:08
Message: <508e8594@news.povray.org>

> On 28/10/2012 09:41 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Snort.. Actually, the problem with the windows registry are:
>>
>> 1. Can't read the damn thing, without the editor.
>
> Well, see, the idea is that *you* should never have to look at it. The
> program in question is supposed to provide a real UI for editing it.
> Much like you should never have to look at a JPEG file in a hex editor;
> you should use a real image viewer / editor.
>
>> 2. Things don't always uninstall cleanly.
>
> Gsettings might plausibly do this better. It looks like you just delete
> that program's XML file and then recompile the schemas... but I haven't
> tested this.
>
> Under Windows, any program can just add or delete arbitrary keys.
>
>> 3. There are no safeguards to stop program X from screwing with a key
>> for program Y.
>>
>> This might require some sort of, "mark this key as editable", or
>> something, since there may be a few cases where you do want to allow
>> this, for specific things.
>
> You realise that the Windows registry has ACLs, right? Exactly like
> files do? I'm not sure whether Gsettings does this, come to think of
> it... I suspect not.

These ACLs are based on userID, not app.  So if I run an anti-virus
installer as "Francois", and then click on a bad link, there's nothing
that will prevent BadVirus.exe from messing with the anti-virus
autostart keys with the same user ID.

 > (After all, Unix doesn't have ACLs for files yet.)

WAT?

Have you ever typed "ls -l"  ?  Do you know what the "rwxr-x---" mean on
the left hand side.