POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : less : Re: less Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: less
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Oct 2012 17:08:45
Message: <5087075d@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:18:05 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> At the time when I tried this, these were the latest versions
>>> available for download.
>>
>> Ah, I see - a present idea of how it works based on something that
>> happened at least several years ago.
>
> Perhaps I was mistaken and it was 11.x; I can't really be sure. I rather
> doubt that 18 months or whatever is really going to make that much of a
> difference to how easy it isn't to compile new kernel modules from
> source and get them to install...

Because of course VMware wouldn't be aware that their script has problems
and, you know, *fix it* in that time period.  They'd sooner have it be
broken for everyone but the guy who did the QA on it.

Of course that's how business operates.  How silly of me to think that
they'd try to fix something that was so clearly broken that anyone below
advanced God could possibly make it work. m-/

>> What I do is used shared folders and put data on the host.  That way I
>> can just have the software installed in the VM and take a snapshot, and
>> if something gets borked in the VM, I can just revert and not lose
>> data.
>
> Yeah, that sounds like the way to go, if it wasn't so hard to set up.
> (Then again, I generally use a VM so that I can install some piece of
> software and check that it works. Once I've done that I delete the VM
> and install on my real box...)

As I recall, it wasn't so difficult to set up.

>> Shared folders are VERY easy to use.  Take the time to try it rather
>> than assuming it's impossible to use (and then declaring it's
>> impossible to use).  Giving up without even trying is a poor approach
>> to life.
>
> Well let's face it, /most/ things are pretty hard under Linux.

No, most things are pretty easy under Linux when you know what you're
doing.  Just like most things are pretty easy under Windows when you know
what you're doing.

Put me in front of Windows 8 (I looked at the consumer preview), and
without documentation, I found it damned near impossible to figure out
how to use effectively.

I'm sure you found it simple.

> And
> VMware's documentation isn't exactly stellar either...

I never really had to refer to it.

>> There are other ways to address it - one of the more interesting
>> techniques I heard of was to create a HUGE question pool - say 10,000
>> items, and release it publicly.
>
> I gather from my colleagues that LPIC chooses each question at random,
> but from a set of only 5 possibilities. So once a few people from your
> office have been certified, everybody knows the entire question pool...
> heh.

But of course the testing agreement prohibits you from sharing that
information, and if you're found out to have done that, you can lose your
certification.

Most certifying bodies will take demonstrable cheating very seriously,
because it leads to "paper" certifications that employers don't value.
That's how Microsoft's cert programs lost a lot of their status in the
90's, and it's been an uphill battle to fix the damage.

>>> I hear you...
>>
>> It's one of the reasons I didn't start taking certification exams until
>> I was employed by the exam sponsor (Novell/SUSE in my case).
>
> Like I say, my employer wants me LPIC-1 certified. It wasn't *my*
> idea... ;-)

It's a starting point.  Maybe you'll learn enough so that Linux isn't so
"hard". ;)

Jim