POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next chapter : Re: The next chapter Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next chapter
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Oct 2012 17:02:37
Message: <508705ed@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:58:00 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> And some customers would think it insulting and outrageous to have
>> their bag searched, as if they were being accused of committing a crime
>> and having to prove their innocence (which in theory is presumed in the
>> US).
>
> In Finland (and probably in many other countries) your ID has to be
> checked whenever you pay a purchase in excess of 50 euros with a debit
> or credit card (even if you know the correct pin number.) This is, of
> course, to deter stolen cards from being used to make big purchases.
> (I'm not sure if this is by law or stipulated by the card issuers, but
> it's always enforced.)
>
> Some idiots get all offended when the clerk asks for their ID. Like if
> it was an insult, a suggestion that they might be using a stolen card
> (even though the exact same rule is applied to everyone.)
>
> The day they get their card stolen they will be thankful that stores
> check IDs for big purchases.

See, that doesn't happen in the US - and asking for ID on large purchases
would be considered highly insulting by many people.

In fact, on the back of all my cards, I have written in indelible marker
"ASK FOR ID", and it's amazing how few places actually ask even when the
signature so clearly doesn't match (as I don't sign my card, I print that
in block letters in the signature space).

Whenever a merchant does ask for ID, I thank them for doing so. :)

A few places that we frequent note it and if the cashier knows us,
they'll say something like "I'd ask, but you're in here all the time and
I know it's you".  That works for me as well (as the staff usually is
well known to us).

Jim