POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : less : Re: less Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: less
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 23 Oct 2012 14:17:51
Message: <5086df4f$1@news.povray.org>
>>> All fairly old, IIRC.  Certainly openSUSE (note: spelling is important
>>> - it's openSUSE, not OpenSUSE, OpEnSuSe, OpenSuSE, opensuse, ....) is
>>> well past a 10.x release being supported.
>>
>> At the time when I tried this, these were the latest versions available
>> for download.
>
> Ah, I see - a present idea of how it works based on something that
> happened at least several years ago.

Perhaps I was mistaken and it was 11.x; I can't really be sure. I rather
doubt that 18 months or whatever is really going to make that much of a
difference to how easy it isn't to compile new kernel modules from
source and get them to install...

> What I do is used shared folders and put data on the host.  That way I
> can just have the software installed in the VM and take a snapshot, and
> if something gets borked in the VM, I can just revert and not lose data.

Yeah, that sounds like the way to go, if it wasn't so hard to set up.
(Then again, I generally use a VM so that I can install some piece of
software and check that it works. Once I've done that I delete the VM
and install on my real box...)

>>> You don't have to use SAMBA, use shared folders.  That's what it's for.
>>
>> Like I say, I don't even know how that works. Presumably under Linux it
>> would show up as an NFS share or something weird which would be hard to
>> configure.
>
> Nope.
>
> Shared folders are VERY easy to use.  Take the time to try it rather than
> assuming it's impossible to use (and then declaring it's impossible to
> use).  Giving up without even trying is a poor approach to life.

Well let's face it, /most/ things are pretty hard under Linux. And
VMware's documentation isn't exactly stellar either...

> There are other ways to address it - one of the more interesting
> techniques I heard of was to create a HUGE question pool - say 10,000
> items, and release it publicly.

I gather from my colleagues that LPIC chooses each question at random,
but from a set of only 5 possibilities. So once a few people from your
office have been certified, everybody knows the entire question pool... heh.

>>> I prefer hands-on exams, myself - much better to show that you can do
>>> something rather than that you know something.  Application of
>>> knowledge is important to me, moreso than the knowledge itself.
>>
>> I hear you...
>
> It's one of the reasons I didn't start taking certification exams until I
> was employed by the exam sponsor (Novell/SUSE in my case).

Like I say, my employer wants me LPIC-1 certified. It wasn't *my*
idea... ;-)