POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next chapter : Re: The next chapter Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next chapter
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Oct 2012 13:43:30
Message: <5086d742$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:51:42 +0300, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> In the US we have that thing as well, but we also have this thing
>> called "shoplifting", which stores wish to prevent, which is why many
>> will not let you bring a backpack into the store (or will ask you to
>> leave your bag with someone at the front of the store).
>
> Yep. That's why the clerk might friendly ask to show the inside of the
> backpack/bag and that's also why there often are lockers available (free
> or something like 50 cents) for storing the bag in front of the stores.
> But no clerk or other staff member has ever looked down at me because
> having a backpack. They have always considered me as a real, paying
> customer by default.

And some customers would think it insulting and outrageous to have their
bag searched, as if they were being accused of committing a crime and
having to prove their innocence (which in theory is presumed in the US).

There's no solution that's going to satisfy everyone.  Some stores do
have lockers, some stores have a bag check, some do a search....And in
each case, someone's going to be pissed off.

The solution that works consistently is to not bring it in in the first
place.  Then there's no problem.

Jim