POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next chapter : Re: The next chapter Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next chapter
From: Warp
Date: 22 Oct 2012 09:50:50
Message: <50854f3a@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> When visiting some suburb of Detroit (don't remember the name, near to
> the Ford place) it was exactly like this. I could see a shopping mall
> from my hotel window, but to walk there was a nightmare, involving
> walking along the road (no footpath leading up to the hotel), climbing
> over a barrier and crossing 4 lanes of traffic (although it wasn't that
> busy). The same thing happened when I tried to walk home from the office
> to my hotel, and I also noticed signs forbidding cycling on various
> roads near to the shops (such signs I would expect to cause an uproar
> amongst cyclists in any European country).

I don't understand how that can be in any way practical.

Not every single person who might want to move from point A to point B
inside that suburb owns a car, or even has a license. Some might have
bikes, but from your description it sounds like the suburb isn't very
bike-friendly either. Even then, some people *don't* own even a bike.

What happens if your car breaks, and you need to go to the grocery store
*right now*? Do you call a taxi? Seems rather unreasonable. (Friends and
neighbors might not be there to help you as they may be somewhere else or
just busy otherwise.)

What about plain old exercising? What if you want to go jogging? I suppose
you are expected to drive to some place dedicated precisely to that
purpose, such as a park. You have to drive to a place where you can
exercise... sound *so* American. :P

--
                                                          - Warp