POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Oct 2012 03:19:42
Message: <5083a20e@news.povray.org>
On 21-10-2012 3:38, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 16.10.2012 09:30, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>  >
>  > The main problem, I guess, is the fact that the time needed just to
>  > model increases exponentially while the project grows, being it a
>  > whole world or just scenes from a world. A lifetime is not enough by
>  > far.
>
> There are principally two solutions to this problem: either increasing
> the lifespan of the individual by several orders of magnitude (at my
> current pace, I would be done with the terrain relief of entire
> Afghanistan not before 2750 - unless I find a way to drastically reduce
> the time for interpolating the contour lines from those 1:100,000
> Soviet-made topographic maps... but even then alone building the terrain
> would take me several decades...

LOL Yes indeed. The philosophical conclusion of this would be to be
happy with what we are humbly able to achieve within our lifetime.

>  > If one really would want to achieve significant progress then a kind
>  > of huge coordinated collaboration (something resembling Galaxy Zoo?)
>   > or a dedicated enterprise would be needed... ;-)
>
> ...or, yes, finding A LOT OF people working together in this task! But
> the probability of finding only ten people on this planet which are both
> 3D and Afghanistan enthusiasts to embark on such a huge project is next
> to zero - who on Earth needs Khyberspace? Then with all the intricate
> twists and turns of global politics in the clash of civilizations
> between the West and the Islamic world... just imagine what could happen
> if any Khyberspace programmer is uncautious enough to accidentally draw
> the ire of some jihadists toward the project! Not only Afghan nationals
> involved in Khyberspace could be in serious danger then! At the moment I
> seriously doubt whether I ever should make Khyberspace public...

Yes, this certainly is an issue and not a small one.

> GeoControl? Does it also provide a way to convert geodesical (i. e. also
> heightfield coordinates derived from a large-scale topographic map) into
> geographic coordinates? Would be very convenient for me...

I am not sure. I am using an older version presently which can import
files from Terragen, Carrara, Bryce, or Vue, including image_maps.
However, you can visit the site for more info:

http://www.cajomi.de/GeoControl/geocontrol.htm

Thomas