POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 20 Oct 2012 21:38:05
Message: <508351fd$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 16.10.2012 09:30, Thomas de Groot wrote:

 > The main problem, I guess, is the fact that the time needed just to
 > model increases exponentially while the project grows, being it a
 > whole world or just scenes from a world. A lifetime is not enough by
 > far.

There are principally two solutions to this problem: either increasing
the lifespan of the individual by several orders of magnitude (at my
current pace, I would be done with the terrain relief of entire
Afghanistan not before 2750 - unless I find a way to drastically reduce
the time for interpolating the contour lines from those 1:100,000
Soviet-made topographic maps... but even then alone building the terrain
would take me several decades...

 > If one really would want to achieve significant progress then a kind
 > of huge coordinated collaboration (something resembling Galaxy Zoo?)
  > or a dedicated enterprise would be needed... ;-)

...or, yes, finding A LOT OF people working together in this task! But
the probability of finding only ten people on this planet which are both
3D and Afghanistan enthusiasts to embark on such a huge project is next
to zero - who on Earth needs Khyberspace? Then with all the intricate
twists and turns of global politics in the clash of civilizations
between the West and the Islamic world... just imagine what could happen
if any Khyberspace programmer is uncautious enough to accidentally draw
the ire of some jihadists toward the project! Not only Afghan nationals
involved in Khyberspace could be in serious danger then! At the moment I
seriously doubt whether I ever should make Khyberspace public...

 > Yes, that is certainly the case. Personally, I use external tools
 > for most of the work, bringing the results together in POV for the
 > scene building and some POV-specific modelling of course.
 > Blender is something I am (slowly) learning,

I also started working through the 1,800-page manual of the current 2.63
version...

 > but my principal tools are Silo2Pro, Poser, Poseray, and GeoControl,

GeoControl? Does it also provide a way to convert geodesical (i. e. also
heightfield coordinates derived from a large-scale topographic map) into
geographic coordinates? Would be very convenient for me...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: To One In Paradise (The Alan Parsons Project)