POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : less : Re: less Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: less
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Oct 2012 16:53:27
Message: <50830f47$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/20/2012 12:04 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Yeah, unfortunately Windows /is/ designed around the idea that the user
> is a total moron, and has to be "protected" from anything vaguely
> technical. Which is extremely irritating when you /do/ understand
> technical things!

Yep!

> (I'm just bitter because I've spent two entire days trying to figure out
> GNOME 3 extensions. One forum post asked for a list of stock icon names.
> And somebody replied "there is no such list, and nor should there be;
> the source code is the documentation". WTF? Who /the hell/ reads 25,000
> LOC just to look up an icon name or find out what arguments a function
> takes? That's retarded.)

Which you can, sometimes, run into with Windows. Example: Context Menu
Handlers. There is, short of looking in the registry, no list of them
that I know of. Since XP, I think, there has been an option on the start
menu for some folders to list subfolders. This isn't context menu, but..
maybe you could add it as one, only.. again, nothing documenting what
exactly is doing it (its probably not though). So, where it might make
sense to be able to "right click" a folder, and see the files in it,
instead of having to open the folder.... well, there doesn't seem to be
a way to manage it, even though, if you know the registry, it is
semi-trivial to add in context for things like a) opening your stuff in
another application, even if it didn't install one of those already, or
b) add more "New" items, to the menu for that, or even move/copy, etc.
functions, of one sort or another. Good luck finding sane documentation
on any of it at the MS site either, unless you want the skeleton of what
is needed to make a new context menu item, and have it tie itself into
the OS itself.

My last irritation was that I have two choices - Turn off, "New program
installed" notifications, or run all of them. Since half the time these
"New Programs" are set up to change settings, or reset data, or do other
things I damn well don't want, why the hell isn't there a, "Mark this as
run.", context item, and how the hell would you create one? Uh, duh!!
Who would possibly want that? Sigh...