POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : less : Re: less Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: less
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2012 13:45:15
Message: <5082e32b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/19/2012 5:10, Shay wrote:
> but it will do what it does do (e.g., window managers) better[1].

Yeah, as long as you're in the same room. :-)  You realize that Linux window
managers are a festering pit of kludge piled on kludge, right? Half the
complexity in X is there to deal with window managers deciding when to
change the focus asynchronously from what the input stream is, right?

> Maybe I just don't have it configured correctly. Not in front of it atm, but
> iirc, the first screen doesn't show your file system as a connected network of
> folders. What you see is shortcuts to various folders in your file system. This
> is confusing if you want to go somewhere that doesn't have a shortcut. Two
> clicks to get to my home folder, and, in my case, my home folder is called
> "LENOVO_USER" in DOS and "Shay" in Windows Explorer. I found it frustrating at
> first.

Well, here's problem one: You didn't ditch their dumb-ass Windows and
install a fresh intall. Instead, you took whatever the manufacturer
trademarked-up.  :-)  I'll grant you that very few Linux distros try to keep
you from getting rid of their trademarks. So that's the problem with the
home directory. If you do a fresh install, it cal

Second, the start menu has shortcuts for your home directory (first on the
list, basically your login name), the whole file system (called "computer"),
and the "libraries" thing is a collection of shortcuts itself basically. But
if you get in the habit of hitting the start menu for your first step of
navigation, you'll probably be more comfortable.

> [1] This mirrors my limited experience with IDEs vs. text editors: the IDE can
> do a lot of things, but the text editor component is never as nice ime as a
> dedicated text editor. Similarly, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, and
> Explorer shell aren't nearly as nice as their FOSS counterparts.

I think FOSS has a lot more options, because certainly the "Explorer" I use
on Linux sucks moose.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "They're the 1-800-#-GORILA of the telecom business."