POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : less : Re: less Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:31:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: less
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2012 13:38:04
Message: <5082e17c@news.povray.org>
On 10/18/2012 14:56, Shay wrote:
> No, I was enticed by the steep learning curve of Linux. I was convinced that
> something earned must be better than something purchased.

I'm convinced that's true of a lot of people who learn really complex and
baroque and pitfall-encrusted(*) programming languages first, and then are
reluctant to learn others because they're worried it will take five years to
get good enough to write a usable program in them.

> That being said, the Win7 "Windows Explorer" is more confusing that any
> standard, modern Linux application I can think of.

It grows on you, tho, once you figure out the conventions. In particular,
the same conventions are used pretty much everywhere. There are a few
annoying bits you'll come to know. You might want to tap the alt key, then
go into tools->folder options and play around a bit to see if you can get
something that seems a little friendlier.

On the other front, I just got upgraded to Ubuntu "precise" from "lucid"
(assuming these aren't just Google-specific distros), and pretty much
everything sucks far, far worse. It's like they tried to make it as simple
as a Mac, without actually adding in any usability.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "They're the 1-800-#-GORILA of the telecom business."