POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Make Money with POV-Ray (literally). : Re: Make Money with POV-Ray (literally). Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Make Money with POV-Ray (literally).
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 20 Oct 2012 02:37:32
Message: <508246ac$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/10/12 23:36, Samuel Benge wrote:
> Nice coins. They have a pleasing thickness you don't always find with
> real ones (not in the US, anyway). The render quality is good, too,
> especially the image with the coins spilled onto a granite plane. One
> could easily mistake it for a photograph.

   Yes, I guess I made them a bit more thick than usual in real coins, at
least comparing with the euro coins I've at hand. I also think that I
raised too much the relief, but I like it...

> Uncle Scrooge would be p1ss3d!

   I didn't know the original name of this character... back then, in
Spain there was a tendency to translate *everything*, and he was called
"El Tio Gilito" here (thankfully these days at least the names aren't
translated, or Homer Simpson would have ended as Homero Simones, or
something like that...).

> I've got one coin in my meager collection with a similar level of
> quality: it's gold-colored with an eagle ringed by twenty stars on
> one side, and the words "No Cash Value" on the other ;)

   Yes, that's what I was referring to... they look a bit like these
"on-purpose" fake coins (specially at first, before I started using the
new albedo specular, which helped a lot making them look more metallic).

> Perhaps bas-reliefs could be made by blurring the symbols' height
> maps and masking them with their sharp versions?

   Hmmm... should try that.

> BTW, I was never able to create decent bump maps from my other coins.
> They were either too scratched, or too reflective. I need some sort
> of removable substance that will hide the reflective surfaces without
> diminishing all the details, like a thin paint or some face makeup. A
> new paint brush would also help... it might be time for another
> haircut :D

   I know what you mean... been there too. ;) But finally I've given up
and decided it was not worth the effort to scan real coins... instead, I
searched for some dingbats fonts to make my virtual ones more interesting.

   BTW, did you try this other trick? :

   http://www.mdartford.com/?p=453

   I was tempted to try it just with coffee, as there is always a cup
somewhere on my table... :)

--
Jaime