POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chains physics : Re: Chains physics Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chains physics
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 16 Oct 2012 06:48:56
Message: <507d3b98$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/10/12 05:38, Samuel Benge wrote:
> [...] Will there ever be a Windows build? :)

   I think Koppi has successfully built it on Windows, or at least his
building-howto seems to suggest it. But I'm guessing he is not planning
to distribute and support binaries... will ask him anyhow, to see if we
can at least have some unofficial binaries to distribute here.

> I was having that problem with Blender's Bullet implementation. I was trying to
> use mesh links as well, but they would break sometimes. Do you have an option of
> increasing the sim's accuracy? It might help.

   Well, I was referring to accuracy of the meshes, not the simulation:
I discovered that just subdividing the problematic parts of the mesh was
enough to make it more resistant to breaking. The breaking seemed to
occur at places were both bodies didn't have vertex to collide with.

   I also discovered that size really matters too... don't make your
objects too small. At first, I started with the default Wings3D scale of
1-2 units, but later scaled it x10 and things seem to work better.

   One last note: I also noticed that centering the mesh model seems
important for the mass-center of the object later on the simulation.

> Nice test scenes, BTW.

   Actually, I've rendered a lot more, mostly "piles of things" using
existing models of mine, but didn't want to flood the newsgroups with
them (I should update my web site ASAP, if I can get out of the playground).

> The chain material looks a bit like lead, though

   Yeah... reflections were taking too much time, so I used just
metallic specular albedo.

> (despite the interior rust).

   That was a nice trick with a scaled spherical pattern, profiting from
the object specific shape... no uv_mapping at all.

> raise the reflection, add a tiny bumps normal, and render the scene with focal
> blur.

   Yes, and wait until next week for the image, I guess... ;)

> The pearls look good as well, almost photographic.

#declare n_pearl=
normal{
   radial sine_wave
   frequency 36*4
   rotate 90*z
}
#declare t_pearl=
material{
   texture{
     pigment {
       aoi
       color_map{
         [0 Wheat*.5+Coral*.5]
         [1 White]
       }
     }
     normal{n_pearl .05}
     finish{
       specular albedo .25 metallic roughness .025 diffuse .75 brilliance 2
       reflection{0,1 metallic}
       conserve_energy
       irid {
           0.35
           thickness .1
           turbulence .5
         }
     }
   }
}

   Got it just by trial&error...

> I wonder how several concentric, translucent and refractive spheres with that pearl
texture would
> turn out...

   Hmmm... no time to try it now, but it's a nice suggestion that I will
surely try out.

--
Jaime