POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:31:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Oct 2012 03:30:42
Message: <507d0d22@news.povray.org>
On 15-10-2012 22:10, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann wrote:
> Hi(gh)! (back on the scene after fixing some problems with my DSL adaptor)

Missed you indeed.

>> There always is a trade off but the possibility to do more complex
>> scenes than 10 or 15 years ago is the great benefit overall. In most
>> cases, I never have to think about machine limitations any more.
>
> If one aims at entire consistent worlds (like I do) rather than single
> high-quality artistic scenes (which of course would mean leaving out any
> detail in the back of the camera which is not essential for the scene
> proper), the appropriate machine probably never will be built.

The main problem, I guess, is the fact that the time needed just to
model increases exponentially while the project grows, being it a whole
world or just scenes from a world. A lifetime is not enough by far. If
one really would want to achieve significant progress then a kind of
huge coordinated collaboration (something resembling Galaxy Zoo?) or a
dedicated enterprise would be needed... ;-)
Personally, I am just content to slowly explore my world and discover
new things around the corner unexpectedly. I am often much surprised by
what I find.

> On the other hand, the more powerful computers develop, the more
> difficult and time-consuming making use of their full potential will be
> - even to the point that you wish to work with more sophisticated tools
> than pure POV SDL. Probably Blender?

Yes, that is certainly the case. Personally, I use external tools for
most of the work, bringing the results together in POV for the scene
building and some POV-specific modelling of course.
Blender is something I am (slowly) learning, but my principal tools are
Silo2Pro, Poser, Poseray, and GeoControl, and a collection of others for
particular cases.

Thomas