POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour - wip 5 : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour - wip 5 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour - wip 5
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Oct 2012 10:46:29
Message: <507c21c5@news.povray.org>
On 15-10-2012 14:40, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Looking good, I've been keeping an eye on this wip. I love the ships, have you
> been modelling them all yourself from scratch or adapting existing models?

The two ship in the foreground are originally commercial models,
modelled by de Estepona (a Spanish modelling firm I believe) and sold in
2002/2003 by Taschen as part of two 3D objects collections. For these
collections the models were not always provided in their best/highest
resolution, only for some.

However, I have completely overhauled the /Kyrenia/ ship (left) and
added to it so that now the model is more mine than the original. I have

lower resolution state. The dhow in the middle ground left is entirely
my own modelling though, and still a work in progress.

> Is the texturing on the new ship just temporary? Looks like the direction is
> wrong for the masts. The skin tones on the guys looks a little odd - obviously
> skin is a very hard texture to get right, but even with a flat colour I'd have
> thought you could get it a little more realistic... if that is work yet to come,
> apologies!

Yes, the original texturing of the Coca shown here is frankly a shame
and needs a serious overhaul with better image_maps and new uv mapping.
The skins depend first of all on the available image_maps of the
original models: Poser 5 right, Poser 6 left. In addition, I have used a
macro definition provided by Ive for a more realistic skin tone (not yet
implemented for the Poser 6 figure by the way) and using additional
skintones I found elsewhere. Not easy to get right however. So, for the
Poser 5 figure, it is hard to get something better as the skin image_map
is not too detailed. I probably could tune a bit more the skintone, but
I am not sure.
Note that I use Poser 5 figures almost exclusively for background work
and not for for the foreground like here. However, I had the figure
readily posed and available so I did not look for another one. It is not
too big a problem; maybe I shall put some more clothes on him as an
alternative ;-)

> Also, I would expect some darkening of the shadow into the crevice under the
> cargo in the foreground... probably just a minor tweak to the radiosity
> settings...

Ah yes, you are right... Hmmm, that is something I have to look into
indeed. Thanks for drawing my attention to this.

> Small criticisms really, this is very detailed work. :)

He he! Going forward in haste slowly (/festina lente/)  ;-)

Thomas