POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mediasky - Clouds - Slow : Re: Mediasky - Clouds - Slow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mediasky - Clouds - Slow
From: Alain
Date: 14 Oct 2012 15:35:31
Message: <507b1403$1@news.povray.org>
Le 11/10/12 4:38 AM, Jan Walzer a écrit :
> Hi Guys,
>
> Long time no see - it's been some years now, that I last wrote something
> here - Must have been in the "old" POV-3.1 times ...
>
> Today, with much more powerful machines on our fingertips I took the
> chance to play again with some old ideas.
>
> Here is a version of the mediasky-rendering with some changes...
>
> This Image took ~11h on 8Core Xeon W3550 with ~3GHz (AA0.3) - and I
> still haven'd activated the arealight AND there are still artifacts of
> not enough samples in the media - I'll need to tweek it a bit more and
> then again render with a lot more time
>

> Greetings, Jan Walzer

Some hints on media:
The actual default sampling method is method 3.
That sampling method realy DON'T like intervals: Leave intervals to it's
default of 1. Increasing intervals hugely increase the rendering time.
If you need more sampling, only increase samples.
intervals 10 samples 1, 10 (resulting in only 10 samples) is MUCH slower
than intervals 1 samples 120...

ONLY the first value of samples is ever used. If you have two values,
the second is silently ignored. samples default value is 10 and need to
be at least 3.
The parameters ratio, confidence and variance are NOT used and silently
ignored.

Alain