POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next chapter : Re: The next chapter Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next chapter
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 8 Oct 2012 17:00:48
Message: <50733f00$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/10/2012 05:46 PM, nemesis wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> In case anybody missed it: I GOT HIRED.
>
> congrats!

TY.

>> The guys seem convinced that I'm a Linux wizard, despite my statements to the
>> contrary.
>
> I can see lots of Linux-related questions here in the coming weeks.

Heh. I doubt that...

> weapons of mass destruction?

Surely the only true weapon of mass destruction is the atom bomb. After
all, it works by converting mass (which is a form of energy) into heat
(which is another form of energy)...

>> I wrote quite a lot of C# code for somebody who doesn't "know" C# yet.
>
> it's not all that different from Java.  Plus it got its fair share of pythonism
> and haskellites.

My C# book did spend an entire chapter telling me that immutable objects
and mapping / filtering / gouping are cool. Right before it started
raving about something called LINQ, which seems to be of very dubious
usefulness. (Unless you're actually writing database applications,
anyway...)

>> Oh, and did I mention? The salary isn't peanuts this time.
>
> great, you can finally buy a 4" smartphone.

Uhuh. So I could splash out and buy a camera that doesn't stop working
after 20 minutes. Or a copy of VMware Workstation. Or some new dance shoes.

Or I could buy something utterly useless like a smartphone.

Seriously. You realise I'm never more than 17 feet from a computer,
right? What do I need a phone for?

> BTW, did you ever mention povray during the interview? ;)

It's on my CV. I don't think I mentioned it out loud.

Weirdly, this company has an animation department - even though this is
utterly unrelated to their actual core business. They use them to do
marketing graphics and such, and also contract them out to companies
wanting similar. Random...