POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Oct 2012 07:16:18
Message: <50716482$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-10-2012 12:05, Stephen wrote:

>>> I don’t agree. It is all to do with the art of illusion. IMO
>>
>> .... and with time for modelling ;-)
>>

> And computer resources.
> It is probably exacerbated by using a modeller. My entry for “The
> Sphinx” takes 6 seconds to save in Bishop3D and 20 seconds to export to
> PovRay. And the more detail you have the longer it takes Pov to parse
> and render.

Fortunately, this is decreasing with faster machines. The present image
takes 12 minutes to parse and render, using 6 threads.

What is really time consuming are the details one wants to include. The
whole harbour architecture has yet to be modelled in detail, and
textured, and that takes days if not weeks (the ships are good examples
for that). Often with many invisible parts, but one never knows if a
future scene will not need those as yet invisible parts.

>>> I would have put a camera crew in the background. ;-)
>>
>> Well, the crew is behind the camera... ;-P
>>

> Well sometimes I've done that. My entry for the Mother Hive had a large
> head (no_image) behind the camera so I could get a reflection of a face.

Oh yes, that can be a nice touch.

Thomas