POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yellow Magic : Re: Yellow Magic Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yellow Magic
From: Ive
Date: 4 Oct 2012 13:17:26
Message: <506dc4a6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.10.2012 18:01, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
>> I suspect so, yes - but this does greatly depend on the scene and in
>> most cases sRGB works pretty well, it has been designed in the way it is
>> for good reasons ;)
>
> I was under the impression that Microsoft and HP were trying to come up with
> something reasonably similar to existing CRTs.  Or were CRTs the way they were
> because they worked pretty well (sort of a Darwinian selection thing)?

Do not underestimate good old CRT's. Even my almost 20 years old EIZO
CRT monitor was better in terms of color reproduction than my current
high-end TFT - and for that I really miss this heavy 45kg monster.
An important design issues for sRGB was to get maximum quality while
using only 8bit/channel for encoding - color banding gets already much
more prominent within Adobe RGB and 8bit encoding.
Also sRGB takes an "ideal" viewing condition into account i.e. dim
daylight surrounding and images viewed on a dark gray background - what
Firefox meanwhile does but Thunderbird, Chrome, IE still do not.

> One thing that frustrates me about sRGB is that it's impossible to get a good,
> rich cyan with it--although, looking at the PDF you referred me to last year,
> the other color spaces probably can't do much better.

Well, as mentioned I can meanwhile switch to 10bit/AdobeRGB and do so
e.g. for viewing all the shots taken with my digital camera (always
using raw format output). And for some kind of images (e.g. a series of
night-life-shots taken in Tokyo) it makes a huge difference, especially
in the green-cyan to green-yellow range.

> It just occurred to me that with our sensitivity to 380 nm and 700 nm so low,
> those might not be practical values.  Does an Adobe Wide-Gamut RGB monitor
> actually exist, and if so, how do the blue (violet?) and red phosphors work out?

Not to my knowledge. But I might be a bit out of business and do not
know the current state of e.g. OLED technologies - not using phosphors
at all ;)

-Ive