POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3): Randomness problem
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Oct 2012 04:04:43
Message: <506bf19b@news.povray.org>
On 3-10-2012 3:24, helge_h wrote:

>> A lizard. I have orientated it differently now: more light, less shadows
>> (but not its last transformation I guess).
>
> I like the progress on this image, very impressing. The axis between the two
> men; the invisible line between their eyes is a main composition element that is
> nicely echoed by other lines, and there are lines normal to this (the rope at
> the front of the boat especially) that binds the composition together. The
> clouds make an arc that is echoed in the line of the bright hill in the
> background. The direction of the lines in the foreground also contributes in a
> good way.

Thank you indeed for your careful analysis! You have seen things I had
not been aware of. Some compositional elements happen just by chance
(the clouds for instance), others seem to be more or less subconsciously
controlled.

> A few points on the composition, if I may: the lizard seems to me to point out
> of the image. I believe it would be better if its nose was turned to maybe seven
> or eight o'clock (in the image plane, that is). That way it would keep the flow
> of the composition back into the image. The lizard has become a very important
> element in this image, and should be placed exactly right. (Have a look at
> Rembrandts anatomy lesson; the book on the right stops all the gazes of the
> men.)

Like I said, the lizard's position was not yet fixed and I fully agree
with your observation. In the mean time, I have already rotated it
inwards to the scene. I scaled it a bit down too.

> The light horizontal line of the edge of the dockside (is that the correct
> word?) (in front of the man on the right) is broken by the man and the packages,
> but seems a bit even; the stones could perhaps be a little jumbled, and if the
> camera is turned slightly, it wouldn't be exactly horizontal as it looks now.

At present, the quay edge consists of a simple image_map (within a more
complex layered texture of course) on a rather simple mesh. For this
view, I agree that the stones need a more interesting aspect. Can easily
be implemented :-). This viewpoint is very straightforward and a bit of
camera rotation is certainly a must here.

> The hill in the background - is it perhaps too bright? I'm thinking it draws the
> attention into the middle of the image and not letting the eyes wander around.
> The brightest area in an image will often get the most attention.

Yes. The texture of the hills has not really changed since I began
working on this project. I agree about the brightness (and some other
things too I have in mind). The texture needs an overhaul.

> But maybe I'm wrong about these things, this is your image, after all. I'm
> looking forward to the next versions.

No, you are perfectly right and I think that I would have made some
transformations in that direction anyway, but it is good to hear it from
somebody else, giving confirmation to doubts or enabling me to see
things I have been blind to. Thank you for this.

There is still a lot of work to do on this scene, in terms of
(additional) objects, textures, layout... and story telling.

Thomas