POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : min_extend and light_sources : Re: min_extend and light_sources Server Time
17 May 2024 05:34:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: min_extend and light_sources
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 30 Sep 2012 17:55:07
Message: <5068bfbb@news.povray.org>
MichaelJF wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right group, since the problem could by older. If I
> have a union of simple CSG-objects (no differences, isosurfaces or other objects
> known to produce incorrect values with min_extend or max_extend) containing a
> light_source, I yield values near to infinity.

I can reproduce this using code like below. I'd consider this a
bug, although occuring in a rather rare combination of use cases.
My preference would be to ignore the light_source itself in extent
calculations as it is not geometry and has no effect on things like
trace function or object pattern / inside object test. Not sure about
looks_like objects (BTW these have no effect on current behavior).

#declare OBJ = union
{
   sphere {y,1 pigment {color White}}
   light_source {y color White}
}

#debug concat("***",str(max_extent(OBJ).x,1,1),"\n")