POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective listening : Re: Objective listening Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objective listening
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 30 Sep 2012 12:24:25
Message: <50687239$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/09/2012 08:34 PM, andrel wrote:
> Well, I know quite a few professional singers. And I am not talking
> about pop musicians but trained, talented people. What you describe is
> entirely possible without AutoTune, but not with people like madonna, no
> matter what other qualities she has.
>
> But as you don't tell us what CDs you are talking about no meaningful
> comment is possible.

Let us add some data to this discussion.

Consider the following recording:

   http://download.orphi.me.uk/Music/Darts1.wav

This was recorded in 1977. AutoTune did not exist in 1977. Ergo, we can
be sure that this recording cannot have been electronically retuned.

As you can clearly hear, the pitch control excellent, BUT NOT PERFECT.
There are very slight rough edges. It sounds like something sung by real
human beings.

Now we turn our attention back to the Senti-Mentals:

   http://download.orphi.me.uk/Music/Sentimentals1.wav

Again, we find the notes are nearly in tune, but it's not perfect. It
sounds like real humans could plausibly sing this well.

Next up:

   http://download.orphi.me.uk/Music/Sentimentals2.wav
   http://download.orphi.me.uk/Music/Sentimentals3.wav

To me, this doesn't sound real. It's just /too/ perfect. All those
chords, and not one single note veering even slightly out of tune, even
once? OK, it's a studio album, they have infinity takes to get this
right. But seriously? This sounds like an electronic keyboard to me. It
doesn't sound like something real humans could sing.

The whole album has this feel to it. The lead vocals seem real, but the
backing is suspiciously perfect. (Especially considering the
imperfections in the unaccompanied numbers they've done.) Obviously I'm
not going to upload the entire album so you can check though. ;-)

My guess is that these people certainly /can/ sing, they're just using
AutoTune to make minor corrections. But I do think these vocals are too
perfect to be unprocessed. (Presumably they turned it off or turned it
down for the unaccompanied stuff.)