POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) : Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: River Harbour (wip 3)
From: Stephen
Date: 30 Sep 2012 11:35:03
Message: <506866a7$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/09/2012 3:58 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 30-9-2012 16:45, Stephen wrote:
>> It looks more real every time.
>
> Thanks, Stephen. That is what I like with wips; and I always keep a copy
> of intermediate stages in order to assess progress or dead ends.
> Each time new problems arise too, together with new ideas of course ;-)

Until you need the disk space ;-)

A couple of months ago I cleared out about 4 gigs of HDD space. Not to
worry I still have them on Backup. If I ever get round to looking at
them. :-)

>> It also reminds me of the old harbour in Chania in Crete.
>
> I didn't know that town, but looking at images of its harbour, there is
> a strong similarity indeed. Seems I am on the right track. Maybe I can
> find some inspiration there too... translating back over a millennium.

The photos I googled just now don't show what it was like 25 years ago.
It is the long buildings that remind me of the harbour. Then they were
just unpainted stone. Now if they are still there they will be decorated
for tourists. :-(

I like the grass growing between the cobbles, a nice touch.

--
Regards
     Stephen