POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective listening : Re: Objective listening Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objective listening
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 28 Sep 2012 12:56:02
Message: <5065d6a2$1@news.povray.org>
>> So... apparently AutoTune makes you sound like frigging GLaDOS. :-P
>
> Which is quite ironic, because the singer who voice GLaDOS is an opera
> singer and was able to get that autotune sound without actually using
> it.  (She talks about this in the Portal 2 developer commentary IIRC)

For GLaDOS, they didn't just autotune it; they fiddled with the spectrum
in a few other ways to make it sound more computerised.

(And yes, she can sing in tune. However, no human can quantinise their
vocal pitch as harshly and artificially as a machine can.)

Coming back on-topic, I would suggest that the amount of distortion
introduced depends on how far the software has to retune the sound. If
you're a talented singer and you're only using AutoTune as a safety net
(and you have it turned down to sane settings), it probably sounds
pretty natural.