POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copy bug... : Copy bug... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:40 EDT (-0400)
  Copy bug...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Sep 2012 04:32:23
Message: <50656097$1@news.povray.org>
Wondering if my two guesses are right or not here. I have a Epson 4990
scanner, and an Epson ?? I don't remember, printer. When we upgraded the
machine (due to a problem with the old one), it ended up with a problem
install of the scanner, which was resolved, however, since the disk was
32 bit, and the new OS 64 bit, the result was that the printer direct
installed was the Epson Esc/P driver.

Now, under this configuration, it would copy without a problem, but,
obviously, printed really badly. So.. I recently realized, when the ink
got very low, that the wrong printer driver was installed, so I
downloaded the correct 64-bit driver for the printer. Today my father
tried to do a copy, this is the result:

1. Hit the "copy to printer" button on scanner.
2. Copy program loads.
3. Hit "copy" in the program.
4. Program starts a "prescan", and the light bar in the scanner runs all
the way from the dock position, to the end of the bed.
5. Error: Copy failed, consult useless docs, blah, blah, blah.

Again, this worked fine with the older "default" driver.

Now, there are only three things I can think could be doing it:

1. Driver incompatibilities. I.e., the scanner is somehow being asked to
talk direct to the printer, but the scanner is still running 32-bit?
2. The low ink is causing it to refuse to print.
3. Somehow changing out the printer driver confused the scan software,
though this makes no damn sense, because it that happened every damn
time you added a new printer, it would render having the program worthless.

I just don't get what is going on here. Under XP, the same two devices
worked fine. Using the "default" shitty driver, they worked fine. There
was a minor hickup with the scanner, due to, again, Windows installing
defaults for it too, until I removed them, and reinstalled, but it was
fine, right up until I changed the printer software. There is a 64-bit
version for the scanner, but I am not sure if I installed that, or the
older 32-bit version, back when I updated the scanner driver, so it
would work properly.

Oh, and.. It works perfectly if I use the scan dialog, which saves to a
document, it just fails after the initial first pass scan (where it
detects paper size), when going direct to printer, using the copy program...

Anyone run into a bloody pain like this before?