POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 26 Sep 2012 13:37:55
Message: <50633d73$1@news.povray.org>
Le 26/09/2012 16:18, Francois Labreque nous fit lire :
> Le 2012-09-25 01:02, Stephen a écrit :
>> On 24/09/2012 11:08 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Of
>>> course it also helps to know that in wine tasting "sweet" generally
>>> means
>>> lower alcohol content as well - the sugars aren't converted to alcohol,
>>
>> I thought that it was the other way around. Sweet wine has higher
>> alcohol content because the yeast is killed off when the alcohol reaches
>> a certain level, leaving some sugar unfermented.
>>

> It depends.
>
> Fortified wines (such as port and sherry) have 97% alcohol added to kill
> the yeast to (historically to allow for easier transportation back to
> England) causing some of the sugar to remain - and contributing to the
> higher alcohol contents.

mmmh... porto got only 1:4 of 77% alcohol (brandy). (so 1/5 at the end)

sherry (Xeres) are distilled, the aims being to reduce the volume for
the transportation (from Spain to England... or is it United Kingdom ?
Scot & Ireland already had their whisk(e)y, what about Wales ? Northen
Ireland ? Common Wealth ?... I probably got many wrong!)

It seems that associating Porto & Sherry in the same sentence is like
pairing Scottish whisky and Ireland's one... single distillation or
triple distillation... hmmm holy war.

> Dessert wines have so much sugar in them to begin with that the yeast
> can not convert it all to alcohol, so the wine remains sweet after
> fermentation.

The basic fact: the higher the sugar, the less you *feel* the alcohol.