POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 26 Sep 2012 10:18:54
Message: <50630ece$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-09-25 01:02, Stephen a écrit :
> On 24/09/2012 11:08 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Of
>> course it also helps to know that in wine tasting "sweet" generally means
>> lower alcohol content as well - the sugars aren't converted to alcohol,
>
> I thought that it was the other way around. Sweet wine has higher
> alcohol content because the yeast is killed off when the alcohol reaches
> a certain level, leaving some sugar unfermented.

It depends.

Fortified wines (such as port and sherry) have 97% alcohol added to kill
the yeast to (historically to allow for easier transportation back to
England) causing some of the sugar to remain - and contributing to the
higher alcohol contents.

Dessert wines have so much sugar in them to begin with that the yeast
can not convert it all to alcohol, so the wine remains sweet after
fermentation.