POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black Mesa : Re: Black Mesa Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Mesa
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 23 Sep 2012 05:20:55
Message: <505ed477@news.povray.org>
On 22/09/2012 09:43 PM, waggy wrote:
> My interest is primarily in videogame development, as this is currently my Plan
> B in case the engineering research thing doesn't work out. It's looking like
> there is a reasonable possibility I could put a small team together if, for
> example, our research grant funding dries up. A small team with limited funding
> obviously wouldn't be sufficient for AAA development, but I've been kicking
> around some game ideas that might appeal to casual gamers who are considering
> moving up to something a bit more intense than the typical hidden object and
> match-three games.

What I find interesting is this:

The original HalfLife was a AAA game. Valve licensed the Quake 2 engine
from id Software, for God knows how much money, and then spent [I would
imagine] a considerable amount of time modifying it. They then built an
entire game running on it. A whole heap of time, money and energy went
into that game.

HalfLife 2 was based on the Source engine, an even more radically
modified version of the old Quake engine. HL2:EP1 and HL2:EP2 saw even
more features added to this engine. It represents a couple of
man-centuries of work, I would imagine. All three of these games are
definitely AAA titles.

Black Mesa is not a AAA title. As far as I can tell, nobody even got
paid. But unlike when Valve paid id Software a crapload of money to
license their game engine, the people behind Black Mesa were able to use
the very latest version of the Source engine *for free*. They also used
a whole bunch of game assets from HL2, CSS and similar. They can only do
this because the game is free, of course; if you wanted to /sell/ this
game, you'd have to license the technology.

Now, I don't imagine that one person could throw together a game like
Black Mesa in a week or two. This has clearly taken a lot of people a
very long time to develop. But it's impressive that all this could be
done by free collaboration, using AAA assets for which free use is
permitted.

An interesting time for game development indeed!