POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A box of oranges (valencian, of course) : Re: A box of oranges (valencian, of course) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:31:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A box of oranges (valencian, of course)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 23 Sep 2012 04:18:04
Message: <505ec5bc$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/09/12 20:46, Samuel Benge wrote:
> Nice one, Jaime! The grass is a welcome departure from most other CG
> lawns: it appears to have some history to it. The oranges lose some
> realism due to their ends having the pinched appearance of either
> cylindrical or spherical mapping, but otherwise they look pretty
> good :)

   Thanks, Sam...  the grass is just a simple and dirty trick, but works
fine. I first used a simple image map with a grass picture from
mayang.com, but obviously this looked too flat at most angles. It just
occurred to me that I could add scattered mesh-blades to dissimulate the
problem while benefiting from the realism of the image map. This worked
because I used the same image map as source for the blades green tones.

   And yes, the ends of the "isorange" are not very well done: when I
modeled these for a still-life years ago, they were always resting on
its end, so I never got to see the problem until now... :(

--
Jaime