POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Josef Prusa is leaving Thingiverse : Re: Josef Prusa is leaving Thingiverse Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Josef Prusa is leaving Thingiverse
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Sep 2012 22:20:26
Message: <505e71ea$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/22/2012 0:44, Warp wrote:
> It's almost incredible how many "terms of use" are almost exact copies
> of each other, even for companies that have nothing whatsoever to do with
> each other.

Well, there *is* some copying, especially for small companies. It's much
cheaper than hiring a lawyer to do your own.

The other thing is that lots of pieces of TOS contracts are either
determined by law or precedent, in the USA. For example, at one point,
someone sued for warranty service, and the seller said "we disclaimed the
warranty." The buyer told the judge they hadn't noticed that, and the judge
said "How could you not notice? It was in all capitals!" From that decision
on, all disclaimers of warranty are in all capitals. So that's how it goes
for a lot of what looks like the boilerplate, because it's copied from
decisions judges made or wording in laws. (For example, there's a law that
says "you're allowed to record conversations for training or quality
assurance." So that's exactly the words every telemarketer spiel uses.)

tl;dr: It's some of each.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "They're the 1-800-#-GORILA of the telecom business."