POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 21 Sep 2012 08:40:56
Message: <505c6058$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/09/2012 12:40 PM, scott wrote:
>> But when somebody tells me "wine tastes sweet", when it clearly and
>> obviously does not, and it's trivially easy to verify over and over
>> again that it /actually/ tastes sharp, bitter and corrosive,
>
> Did you ever stop and think that not all wines are the same?

Did you ever stop to think that I've tasted dozens of different wines
over the course of my life? Sure, they didn't all taste the same. But
I've yet to find a single one which could be described as "sweet". And
when people sing lyrics like "kissing sweeter than wine", it makes it
sound like sweetness is a very common property of many wines. This
certainly does not appear to be the case at all.

> But those people *might* be able to put you in touch with the right
> person who does know about computery stuff. That's how networking works.

In my limited experience, this has not been the case. Most employees
seem to have absolutely no idea whether their employer is hiring or not.
Not even for the job that *they* do, never mind for an unrelated part of
the operation.

> You don't need to know anyone in a position of power, you just need to
> know other people who might have heard of a computery type job going.
> The more people you talk to obviously the more chance of finding out
> about a job that would be suitable.

Well, I guess that's true enough. But these jobs are going to show up on
a jobs site eventually /anyway/. Just "knowing" that they exist doesn't
really help get you hired. (And besides, surely you'd have to speak to a
hell of a lot of people on an extremely regular basis to hear about this
stuff...)

>> Well, that's a valid strategy. [Although there's no particular reason to
>> focus on companies based on one specific city. Rather, just look for
>> companies that might have a base nearby.]
>
> Why are you limiting yourself to companies nearby?

Because I don't want to have to travel too far to get to work?

It's one of the many things I disliked about my old job. Now, obviously,
it may turn out that I still end up needing to drive to Banbury or
something. But at least that's a bit nearer than Coventry.

In particular, given the number of jobs I've seen advertised as being
*in* Milton Keynes, it doesn't seem too outrageous to imagine that I
might be able to get one of them. This is new; in the past, I've never
been able to find anything that near. But now I've found some better
sites to look on, I'm finding quite a lot of very local jobs. Why look
further away when there's this much stuff right here?